Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wrong

Sometimes I'm wrong.
Usually when I look at something and think "I have no intrest in this" I'm dead on. Months, years later, I'll be with some one else and end up watching the movie or reading the comic and I'm usually right.
I felt like this about "The Walking Dead". I don't get why the rest of the world currently thinks zombies are the coolest thing ever, but they don't really intrest me. I like them, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch a zombie movie over a vampire movie. For this reason I've been giving "The Walking Dead" a pass. I've gotten other horror comics, freddy, jason, Army of Darkness, but Walking dead just seemed like another zombie title. Even despite the really rave reviews, I just chalked it up to the current zombie fad.
Recently someone dumped a stack of about 20 issues in my lap and I decided to give it a shot. 10-20 minuets out of my life to confirm what I already believed.
I'm surprised. i was wrong.
It's not just t hat Walking Dead is good, it's REALLY good. The human drama is surprisingly well done. I'd underestimated it because of the subject matter, but there are moments that really make you feel, and strong insghts that are conveyed, not preachy, not gory...you could have told this same story a hundred other ways. That perhaps is why it's better than I expected. In any event, I'll probably be going through this series on Thanksgiving. Who needs turky when you have BRAINS......

No comments: