Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wednesday Alternative.









Deadshot

I first encountered Deadshot in the pages of DC’s Who’s Who, which I used to read cover to cover (probably not that healthy for a child to do….). When John Ostrander rolled out Suicide Squad for DC in the late 80’s I was delighted to find that I recognized quite a number of the rotating cast as well as a few regulars. Deadshot was one of them.

I know Deadshot looks like a superhero, but if you read through the series you’ll come away with a wholly different perspective.

Back when John Ostrander was writing the Suicide Squad he found he had WAY too much material he wanted to explore with Deadshot so he convinced the powers that be at DC to do a mini series. This series is a little dated. You can feel the 80’s in it here and there, but the story stays riveting. The fascinating this is that Deadshot is not entirely the main character here. The story is told more from the perspective of his thearipist, who is tracking him down, than it is from his own. It’s a story about relationships with Deadshot’s estranged family, and the rescue of his son.

****************SPOILER ALERT********************

The rescue fails. The child dies at the hand of a pedophile. Deadshot goes beserk and kills everyone involved. Everyone except the person who ordered it all; his mother. No, he dosen’t kill her, he cripples her.

Still think this is your usuall Superhero fare?

***************SPOILER ENDS**********************

One of my friends has mentioned that standards in the 80’s were slipping. The comics code was letting a LOT slip by. I’d like to mention this was a general release comic. It had the comic code seal on it, I was buying it in the drugstore down the street from my house.



































It’s been a few years but a second mini-series was run in 2004. I think you really have to know the first series to understand the second. It’s not bad, a fun return to the character, but it dosen’t have nearly the depth the first one does. It dosen’t disturb the way that one does.

I finally got my Deadshot figure a couple of years ago. I’ve wanted this figure since I was 12, mostly because of that first mini-series. He’s a fascinating character, and despite the super hero trappings, a wonderful comic alternative.



The original series may be purchased here

The followup series from 2004 may be purchased here


No comments: