Thursday, May 22, 2008

Spidy 560 and JLA 21

I'm ashamed to be a DC fan.

Can I just admit it? I've been a DC fan all my life. If you want flashy art, you go to Marvel. If you want great storytelling and innovation, you go to DC.

No so anymore.

JLA is just getting DUMB. The secret room floating in space that you teleport to from the front of the Hall of Justice...okay, I felt my IQ drop six points just writing that sentence.

At least we got to see some of Superman Wonder Woman and Batman...since the seriese OBVIOUSLY isn't about them...no this is really about the second stringers...of course that's not why most folks buy it. They buy it because Superman is usually on the cover. And what's with Lex Luthor being back in the green armor? I know it's been going that way for a while, but honestly; are the writers so lazy that they can't find a compelling way to tell a story with him unless he can hit someone? John Byrne managed to do it. Heck, Salvation Run managed to do some pretty amazing things with him (even though it still devolved into hitting)

Perhaps they need to take a hint from the guys over at SpiderMan.

Now I'll be the first to say the whole getting rid of the marriage thing was a mistake, but

A. Come on. We know it's not forever

B. They did it right.

Seriously. The devil wants to dissolve their marriage because it is "pure, and made holy in the eyes of he who I hate most". Dude, I almost fainted. In a society that constantly attacks marriage on a philisophical level for the sake of cheap laughs, this is GOLD.

Shake ups at the Bugle, Pete snapping paparazzi pics and....let's just call her the "Mystery Lady" ( How did i not see that coming?) and everything fits together perfectly in a compelling story. I've been hooked on Spidey's "Brand New Day" since the first issue. I haven't missed one.

Oh well. It's time to head over to the comics sho wit my list of mostly Marvel titles. I better get my dark glasses so no one will recognize me.

No comments: